Ratatouille is an oldie but goodie recipe that has the advantage of exposing your little one(s) to tones of flavorful vegetables at once.
It is also the perfect family meal that can be shared with everyone, baby included.
As a French, I could give you the “purist” version of this recipe that implies to cook every single vegetable separately to perfection to enhance their delicate flavors but… I won’t.
Because 1. I never ever cook it that way and 2. Ratatouille purists don’t have hungry small kids around them.
So let’s look at this easy ratatouille recipe that will only take 10 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook and will ravish everyone around the table!
Ratatouille - starting 6 months
- Perfect for family meals.
- Texture can be adjusted for baby according to your preferences.
- This recipe can be easily made in large quantity and froze.
Ingredients for about 5 portions of 100 grs (3.4 oz) each
- 1 medium eggplant (peeled and cubed)
- 2 medium tomatoes (cubed)
- 3 zucchinis (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Seasoning: Dried Herbes de Provence is best but if you don’t have you can use dry thyme or oregano
- 1/2 cup water
10 minutes preparation
15 minutes cooking
- All your vegetables should be cut in approximately 1 inch cubes.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat and add the chopped garlic.
- Once golden, add the vegetables, tomato paste and seasoning of choice.
- Add the water and bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once vegetables are soft you can use an hand blender to obtain the texture of choice for your little one. Or you can blend just your baby’s portion.
- Add salt and pepper for yourself and serve it like that to bébé!
- You can accompany with pastas, rice or any carbs of choice. And can also be combined with protein of choice for a complete meal!